Dr. Lo Yan Chui 1878 - 1944


Top photo: Training at Misericordia gym 1960s. Center right: The Five Ancestors Alter at Kong Han gym. Center left:: The Lo Yan Chu and Kong Han War Heroes Memorial at the Chinese Cemetery. Bottom photo: Master Lo King Hui giving instructions during training 1960s.

1993 at 73 yr old, Master Lo King Hui is one of the few true ngo cho kun fighters to understand and attained the concept and essence of the "five power principle".

Master Lo King Hui has powerful forearm and strong neck muscles that can withstand blows and pressure. He is also a reputable herbalist and a bone setter a strong Sifu that always encourage his students to train hard and is always available to give them free medical treatment.

Headmaster Henry Lo has been involve in wuzuquan and Kong Han sine he was 12 years old. A seasoned martial artist like his father he has prooven his skill and knowledge of wuzuquan. To his friends, he gain the nickname "Rhino" becuase of his power and body strength. He is the official flag bearer of Kong Han AThletic Club.

Headmaster Henry Lo has been very active in continuing his father's legacy and aspiration of spreading the true tradition and heritage of wuzuquan to the world. He has led several delegation in participating in convention and competition in both the South Shaolin Wuzuquan International Federation and in the International Wu Shu Federation.

Siensi Henry Lo the team leader of Philippine Kong Han Club competing in the First International Tarditional South Shaolin Wu Shu competition, December 18 -21, 2004 Quanzhou, China.

    1967 Kong Han exhibition delegation to Taiwan






Tseng Kuo-ming winning bronze at the South East Asian Martial Art Sparring tournament in 1969 held at Singapore.

Henry Lo winning silver 1996 San shou International Tournament at Zhengzhou, China.

Students of Kong Han, in 1978 competing in national mix martial art tournament sponsor by SPODEPHIL in Manila. (top) Po Suan-uy competiting at the weapon sparring divisionwinning five times. (bottom) Yin Wan-ren competing at the full contact sparring Jr. Lightweight division, successfully advancing to win the grand championship.





Dr. Lo Yan Chu and Kong Han Athletic Club


The Beginning


Dr. Lo Yan Chu was born in 1878 in the city of Quanzhou he was the youngest of three brothers. His father was Lo Yung-sheng, a farmer by profession who expanded to operate a tobacco shop, candle shop and an inn at Quanzhou City, Fujian province. Business was very good for the Lo family until the later part of 1890. Due to political turmoil, the economic atmosphere become very difficult, banditry was on the rise that resulted in the Lo family closing their business.


At age thirteen Lo Yan Chu’s father died, eventually Yan Chu had to stop school to help with the family chores and livelihood. During those hard times his mother ponder on the future of the family especially that of the young Yan Chu.


Lo Yan Chu was a very athletic person and is known for his good moral character. His mother wanted him to take up martial kung fu but the perception of society was to look favorably on intellectual achievements rather on martial career. One night after his mother dreamt of a powerful man wielding a Green-Dragon Halberd, upon waking up the next day she proceeded to the Kwan Yu temple to pray for guidance. It is during her meditation and praying that she received divination that led her to decide to let young Lo Yan Chu pursue the martial path a decision that would prove to be fruitful.


Road to Ngo Cho Kun


At age fourteen, his first master was master Chuang Tan, Lo Yan Chu was a natural martial artist a quick learner after couple of years of hard training, master Chuang died. Lo Yan Chu was appointed the instructor of the school and with great loyalty and respect to his teacher he remitted all the student fees to his teacher’s wife. Later, he would learned of the famed master Kong Po Chiam, a well-known teacher of Tai Cho-Ngo Cho Kun (Five Ancestor Fist) he would continue his training with master Kong Po Chiam. Lo Yan Chu was now at the peak of his martial art skill, he would later meet other masters of Tai Cho kung fu such as Li Jun Ren founder of Yong Chun Ngo Cho Kun and  Chua Giok Beng (founder of Ho Yang Pai-Ngo Cho Kun), Lin, Jiu Ru, Chen Ching-ming and many others.


Lo Yan Chu would open his first school at the age of 19 in the year 1897 situated at Wei Tou village. Aside from his martial skill, Lo Yan Chu studied traditional Chinese medicine, which in the west is equivalent to medical general practitioner, herbalist, orthopedic, chiropractor, and general surgeon. He would provide medical services to the poor and at the same time helping with his family’s farming and fishing business.


Soon, Lo Yan Chu martial virtue becomes well known. Lo Yan Chu would take up the cause for the poor and the oppressed, this virtue and attitude have resulted in him to engage in combat against bandits and oppressors. In one occasion as he was heading back to Quanzhou city in a ferryboat, the ferryboat he was riding was attack by a group of pirates. With out hesitating and before the pirates could do any serious harm to the passengers, Lo Yan Chu armed with a steel container launch forward, he fought ferociously and succeeded in defeating the pirates. As a gesture of gratitude, the British boat captain offered Lo some money. Instead of accepting the money, Lo distributed the reward money to his companions.


At age twenty-one from the year 1899, Lo Yan Chu decided to travel overseas to expand his martial skill as well as to learn and improve his medical knowledge and skill. He first traveled to Burma and then to Southeast Asia in Penang Malaysia, Surabaya, Java and Hong Kong. In all his travel he continue to teach ngo cho kun and practice his medical profession. In 1907 he set sail to Singapore further his studies and profession in medicine as well as to teach Tai Cho-Ngo Cho Kun. A year later, he would also travel to Vietnam on a medical mission. In his nine years of traveling Lo Yan Chu was able to gain great skills, experience and knowledge, he would be recognized as an authoritative figure of ngo cho kun and establish himself as Dr. Lo Yan Chu.


Dr. Lo Yan Chu would marry Miss Chang Fan-Niang in 1909. With his new family and with his extensive traveling in having witness first hand the sufferings and happiness of many people lives, Dr. Lo Yan Chu begun to pursue the teachings of the Tao to improve his spiritualism and strengthen his martial virtue.


He began to study meditation and would become a member of a Taoist sect based in Omei Mountain in Szechuan province. Dr. Lo Yan Chu good reputation would follow him wherever he goes, he would become the head of a Taoist sect in Quanzhou branch.


The Fearless Tiger


Two years before the end of the Manchu dynasty, and the establishment of the Republic in 1910 Dr. Lo Yan Chu got into several hostile confrontation with abusive Manchurian soldiers. In one critical confrontation, Dr. Lo Yan Chu led a group of martial fighters to help free his martial brother who was falsely accused of a crime and sentence to be executed by Manchu officials. The Manchu official’s base their judgment on bribes they received from the opposing party not on evidences presented was to be the last straw. Upset, Dr. Lo Yan Chu plotted against the Manchu soldiers and officials.


As his friend was being escorted to the execution grounds, Dr. Lo Yan Chu and his followers confronted them on a crossroad. The soldiers armed with guns open fired, because of the close fighting situation Dr. Lo Yan Chu made good use with his darts. Armed with a sai in one hand and a nine sectional steel whip on the other, Dr. Lo Yan Chu led his group and fought the Manchus ferociously and gallantly, the battle quickly turn into a fierce hand to hand fighting, succeeding in reducing their numbers forcing them into a corner. They fought for about three hours Dr. Lo Yan Chu exhibit of extraordinary bravery and fighting prowess gain him the nickname Hu Mu Chiu (Tiger Chiu). Dr. Lo and his companions after succeeding freeing their friend quickly escape into the narrow streets before Manchu reinforcement could encircle them.


This encounter has resulted in Dr. Lo Yan Chu becoming an outlaw; a bounty was put on his head he would escape to another village. Months later, and upon insistence from his friends and relatives Dr. Lo Yan Chu left for Rangoon, Burma. In Burma, he joins the revolutionary movement to overthrow the Manchu dynasty. Finally, in October of 1911, the Manchu dynasty ended, Dr. Lo Yan Chu return to Quanzhou. During his stay in Burma Dr. Lo Yan Chu was an active practicing physician and taught his ngo cho kun to his compatriots.


Dr. Lo Yan Chu in 1912 return to his native village, he was welcome as a hero his exploits, reputation as a skilled martial artist and his good moral character possessing martial virtue, he was look up to for leadership in handling and mediate town dispute. He was to become the chief instructor of Quanzhou Kuo Shu Club this was the largest martial art school in the city. During the struggle of establishing, the new Republic Dr. Lo Yan Chu would serve as martial combat instructor and medical doctor for the 183rd division of the 19th Route Army he would travel with the Army to several places in a campaign of uniting all of China.


The Establishment of Kong Han Athletic Club


In 1937, Imperial Japan invaded China this mark the beginning of the Sino-Japanese war Japanese forces occupied the city of Xiamen and soon the entire province of Fujian fell to Japan. Because of Dr. Lo Yan Chu association with the Chinese military, his students exerted effort in convincing Dr. Lo he need to be safe by arranging for his departure for Manila.


Dr. Lo Yan Chu arrived in Manila, Philippines in 1937 he set up a medical clinic to continue his medical profession. His good reputation as a martial art master and his exploits would not escape him, many local Chinese in Manila showed him great respect have approach him requesting him to teach them martial art.


Encourage with an overwhelming support of enthusiasm, Dr. Lo Yan Chu upon listening to the advice of fellow martial artist Chen Ching-ming opened an informal martial school located at No. 329 Lilan-Ilang Street in Binondo, Manila. The response and turn out of students was unexpectedly high and favorable, due to this Dr. Lo Yan Chu transferred to a new location at No. 631 Tomas Mapua Street, Sta. Cruz Manila and officially established the Philippine Kong Han Kuo Shu Kwoon, better known as Kong Han Athletic Club here he teaches Tai Cho-Ngo Cho Kun (Five-Ancestor Fist).


The name Kong Han has a very patriotic meaning; Kong mean fiery, bright, brilliance or shinning and Han is the ancestral term for the people of China. The animal symbol that Dr. Lo Yan Chu would choose to be the club’s code of arms would be the Tiger. A reflection of his nickname, Hu Bu Chiu or Tiger Chu, a reputation he gain during a skirmish he and his men had with Manchu soldiers in 1910 at his home village in rescuing one of his martial brothers from being executed on crimes he did not commit.


Dr. Lo Yan Chu set a high and strict standard of regulation for his school; a good moral character was his main pre-requisite to be accepted in the school. Two people who must be members of Kong Han must act as sponsor for an applicant, after that, the applicant will go through an interview by a committee which will establish his or her eligibility, parents are required to be present during the interview. Dismissal and or expulsion from the club will result if for any unjust and unlawful reason a member should engage in violent crimes inside or outside of the school.


Support from the local community was awesome; soon many people from Dr. Lo Yan Chu native village upon immigrating to Manila, some who are his former students join Kong Han. Kong Han was active in the local community that in the later year of 1940 Dr. Lo send a delegation to participate in an event of celebration for the establishment of the Cantonese Athletic Association. This was to be one of the first public exhibitions of traditional Chinese martial arts, that would leave a lasting impression on its audiences of the awesome prowess and martial skill of Kong Han members.


In 1941 The prestige of Kong Han reach the northern provincial city of Dagupan upon hearing of this, the local Chinese-Filipino community formally requested for an instructor to introduce and teach ngo cho kun to their students. Dr. Lo responded by sending his eldest son Lo King Hui to take charge and eventually a new school was born in that city, this is to be the first branch of Kong Han; it was named Kong Hua Athletic Club. The school started out with about ten students and it quickly multiple to more than a hundred members.


In Manila, the student base was rapidly growing, finally Dr. Lo Yan Chu open a second branch located at Jaboneros Street in Binondo, Manila. One of Dr. Lo senior student instructor Hsu Chiu-yao was appointed the chief instructor for that branch. On December 1941 World War II broke began.


Facing up to the Enemy


In 1942 the entire Philippine nation fell to Imperial Japan war machine, at that same year Japanese forces occupied Manila. Dr. Lo Yan Chu continues to operate his schools, in fact, as a sign of no fear a third branch was open at Sampaloc, Manila with Hsieh Chun-hsing as chief instructor. Dr. Lo Yan Chu reputation would not escape the Japanese authorities, knowing of his great influence on the local Chinese-Filipino community the Japanese tried to convince Dr. Lo to work for the Japanese cause. They wanted Dr. Lo to instruct combat martial art to the Japanese troops. Dr. Lo refuse and was arrested, all kinds of pressure, intimidation and harassment as well as threat to his physical well being was applied by his captors but Dr. Lo would not change his mind and stuck to his principle. The Japanese admiring Dr. Lo courage and Dr. Lo citing old age as an excuse for not joining the Japanese cause was eventually release. However, he was under constant surveillance by the Japanese agents.


Soon many Kong Han members have joined the guerilla units and have been involved in many attacks on Japanese interest in and around Manila. Fearing reprisal from the Japanese, Dr. Lo students begged him to leave Manila and go into hiding. Dr. Lo first move to one of his student’s residence afterwards due to unbearable situation in Manila, Dr. Lo with great reluctance left for Manaog in Pagasinan province.


In 1944 the Japanese were starting to loose the war, American forces were advancing towards Manila, bombs were being drop by the liberating forces, Kong Han main school was destroyed by the bombings. At the end of 1944, the Japanese were finally driven out of Manila and World War II was ending, Dr. Lo Yan Chu would pass away in 1944 died of heart failure at age 66.


Revival of Kong Han


The career of Dr. Lo Yan Chu ended as did World War II but his legacy was to continue. Dr. Lo Yan Chu legacy was to pass on to his eldest son Lo King Hui. After Dr. Lo Yan Chu burial his son King Hui return to Manila, reuniting with surviving members they gathered and together in March of 1945 they rebuild Kong Han Athletic Club.


Community support for the rebuilding of Kong Han was strong soon the original Kong Han was revive with membership souring up to seven hundred students. With a new, Kong Han and with the absence of the founder Dr. Lo Yan Chu came with internal power struggle. Young headmaster Lo King Hui was being pressure to give up his authority to personally be in charge of Kong Han, an authority that he inherited from his father. With much reluctance, young master Lo King Hui had no choice but to give in to the demands of the new committee set up to look after Kong Han affaires. These new changes couple with the power struggle had a negative effect on Kong Han; there was indecisiveness, too much bickering, activities become stagnant and division among its leaders. There was even plans to change the school name something that would have been consider a big disservice to the memory of the founder Dr. Lo Yan Chu.


Finally, in July 1954 leaders of Kong Han realized their mistakes and decided to revive the old system, the system that made Kong Han successful. Finally, Master Lo King Hui was officially recognized as Headmaster of Kong Han Athletic Club, the Club new address would be at Misericordia Street, Manila. Activities immediately pick up; the stature and reputation of the Club improve substantially within the Filipino-Chinese community.


In 1955, a war memorial was erected at the Chinese Cemetery in honor for Dr. Lo Yan Chu and seventeen club members who died while engaging the enemy during World War II. At that same year to celebrate Kong Han 17th anniversary, a grand martial art exhibition was mounted at downtown YMCA gymnasium.


In 1960, Kong Han set up its fourth branch located at Soler Street headed by Master Lo King Hui younger brother master Lo King Chiok the school name was Heng Han Athletic Club. Branches will also sprang up in Quezon City and Cebu respectively. Kong Han was at it’s peak and was the most active Chinese martial art school in the Philippines.


In 1965, Kong Han accepted an invitation to perform at the Asian Martial Arts Festival and Karate Championship sponsored by the Philippine Journalist Association. In 1967, Kong Han was to be the first international martial art group to send a delegation to travel to Taiwan from Taipei to the southern region of Tainan, show casing the prowess of ngo cho kun to the people and soldiers of Taiwan and giving the troops moral support in their campaign against the communist. The delegation would be the biggest ever organize consisting of 96 members.

 In 1968, Kong Han accepted an invitation to compete at the Chinese Martial Arts Exhibition Competition in Taipei where they perform very well winning the overall championship plus awards in numerous individual first and second places. In 1969, to help celebrate the 150th founding of Singapore, Kong Han accepted the Singaporean government invitation to compete at the First Southeast Asian Sparring Competition. Against overwhelming home crowd fans, Kong Han competitor Tseng Kuo-ming won the bronze medal in the heavyweight sparring division. In 1970 and 71, Kong Han again accepted an invitation from Taiwan to compete in the Overseas Chinese Martial Arts Championship in Taipei, again Kong Han participant perform very well winning several first and second place in hand form, weapon forms and contact sparring division.


From 1960s to the early 1980s were to be Kong Han most glorious time. In 1978, students of Kong Han would further expand Kong Han prestige by competing at a national mix martial art full contact tournament sponsor by the Sports Development of the Philippines. Yin Wan-ren would compete at the Jr. Lightweight full contact sparring division and Po Suan-uy would compete at the weapons sparring division. Both fighters perform excellently well winning several bouts thus greatly improving Kong Han reputation nationwide.


Mainland China, in the late 1970s would adapt a political and social reform of openness. Master Lo King Hui taking advantage of this new political reform in China would make several trip to his native village and visit friends and relatives as well as fellow ngo cho kun practitioners. In 1986 Master Lo led a major Kong Han team a 50-man delegation to perform ngo cho kun in places like Beijing, Fuzhou, Xiamen and Quanzhou.


Master Lo King Hui


Master Lo King Hui was born on January 19, 1921. he begun his martial art training at an early age of 7 under the guidance of his father Dr. Lo Yan Chu. He moved to Hong Kong at age 13 to continue his secondary education, but due to financial difficulties he has to discontinue his studies. He move to Manila in 1939, in the daytime he would be tutored by his father in traditional Chinese medicine and train in ngo cho kun. At night, he will attend evening classes. He would officially join Kong Han in 1940. Master Lo King Hui was a gifted martial artist he has this natural talent. Training hard, absorbing what his father had taught him master Lo King Hui would be recognized as a master exponent in ngo cho kun.


After his father had passed away, master Lo King Hui would inherit his father’s legacy, he would become the headmaster of Kong Han and he will continue his father’s dream of teaching the true essence of ngo cho kun. Master Lo King Hui will be responsible and instrumental in expanding Kong Han reputation by participating in several local and international martial art competition and convention.


He was also an expert in traditional medicine specializing in bone setting and general herbal medicine. He was both active in teaching ngo cho kun and as a traditional Chinese physician. Master Lo King Hui would have a clinic that includes providing free treatment to students and members of Kong Han especially to those who got injured during training and competition.


Master Lo King Hui was a true traditionalist and a loyal ngo cho kun exponent he strongly believe in the effectiveness of ngo cho kun, he would not betray his heritage nor the ancestors of ngo cho kun. His loyalty would be put to test during the mid 1980s with the introduction of wu shu from mainland China. Master Lo who was well educated in martial combat knows very well that wu shu is not combat martial art but is a contemporary form of kung fu meant for performance and entertainment fill with many flowery movements that are distinctly different from ngo cho kun.


It was just sad, that very few would understand what true ngo cho kun is and what contemporary wu shu is. Many Kong Han senior members would get enticed with the elegance of wu shu that they try to pressure Master Lo King Hui to include wu shu in Kong Han curriculum. This was something Master Lo could not allow to happen; Kong Han martial identity must be preserve and the founder’s legacy of Dr. Lo Yan Chu must not be allowed to be corrupted that was Master Lo King Hui’s stand.


Master Lo King Hui resistance to the plans to include wu shu in Kong Han curriculum resulted in an internal rebellion that saw several senior members breaking away from Kong Han and joining Wu Shu Philippines. Kong Han would loose many members to wu shu, this would not discourage Master Lo from continuing to expand and teach ngo cho kun.


Master Lo King Hui would embark on a gigantic task, a mission to bring all ngo cho kun families together. He will be instrumental in uniting all ngo cho kun families into one body. He sends out invitation to all known ngo cho kun group in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, China and the Philippines. Response to his invitation was very positive, a general meeting was held at Quanzhou, China.


Finally, in 1990 his dream was fulfill the International South Shaolin Wuzuquan Union was form, not only did Master Lo King Hui succeeded in uniting all the ngo cho kun families, the South Shaolin temple in Quanzhou have officially adapted ngo cho kun as their official martial art and physical fitness.


Master Lo King Hui was elected as the first chairman, the organization started with 14 member countries have expanded to about 22 and at present is still very active in receiving new members. The primary objective of the association is to promote and preserve the true essence of ngo cho kun. It is also active in working with other martial art groups.


Master Lo King Hui died at age 75 in 1995; months before he died the International South Shaolin Wuzuquan Union inducted him as an Honorary Chairman for Life, he was to be at the Hall of Fame of the association. Master Lo King Hui has live up to his father’s legacy and have successfully expanded the fighting art of ngo cho kun.


The Legacy continues


During Master Lo King Hui’s time he was able to train several outstanding students, one that would stand out is his eldest son Lo Zu-ming (Henry Lo). Henry Lo would inherit not only of the legacy of the Lo family but that of Kong Han Athletic Club. He would become the headmaster of Kong Han Athletic Club his official title would be Siensi Lo Zu-ming or Henry Lo.


Siensi Lo Zu-ming was a seasoned ngo cho kun athlete he started his training at age 11 just like his grandfather and father he train extensively and learn traditional medicine through his father. Siensi Lo would continue to operate the family clinic at the same time teach ngo cho kun. In 1996, Siensi Lo led a Kong Han team to participate in form and san shou competition at Zhengzhou, China. Siensi Lo competed at the lightweight division of san shou sparring and got a silver medal.


From 1996 to 2005 Kong Han Athletic Club under Siensi Henry Lo has remain very active in participating and competing in many international wu shu events. Every year Kong Han would send delegates to Quanzhou China to attend its annual convention and conference of the International South Shaolin Wuzuquan Union. In 2003, Siensi Henry Lo was chosen to be the team captain of the Philippine wu shu team competing at the First Traditional Wu shu competition. In that competition, Siensi Henry Lo won gold in hand form division.


Kong Han participation would not only be in the martial art field but in the local community as well. Continuing his father’s legacy, Kong Han would participate in voluntary works in helping the poor and the less fortunate. Siensi Henry Lo would provide Chinese herbal healing to all who visit his family clinic regardless of social status.


Siensi Henry Lo is instrumental in seeing the expansion of Kong Han. Kong Han in year 2000 open a branch at Iloilo city Philippines under chief instructor Rene Lao and in year 2003, with authorization from Siensi Henry Lo, Kong Han informally started a branch in Vancouver, Canada under chief instructor Daniel Kun and another branch at Ohio USA under chief instructor Jeffrey Yang.


With the onset of 21st century, the social and economic environment was changing, technology and globalization was expanding, the open market approach has penetrated the martial art community. Many martial art schools have adapted to the new approach of globalization, quality has been replace with quantity. In accepting enrollees, students are now screen base on ability to pay for training not on their moral qualification.


In Kong Han, Siensi Henry Lo would continue to preserve the strict tradition of training and enrollment policies. Acceptance to Kong Han requires prove of good moral character, guarantor from at least two members and finally going through a committee who will interview the applicant with the presence of a parent for applicant eligibility.


The legacy of Dr. Lo Yan Chu, Kong Han Athletic Club and ngo cho kun has become an integral part of the cultural institution in the Filipino-Chinese community and its legacy continues internationally under the guidance of Siensi Henry Lo.



The virtues of patience, perseverance and hard work deeply embedded in traditional ways are slowly being replaced by yearning for instant gratification and constant satisfaction in this digital age. But like the earlier generation the task of the present headmaster is to be able to adapt and survive in this environment and still leave intact the essential attributes of traditional practice. It is also imperative that concerned people advance and support this cause in order to preserve the legacy of Lo Yan Chu and Kong Han Athletic Club which has become an important cultural institution in the Filipino-Chinese community.